Re: XPS3 Strangeness

"David White" <whitedavidp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dNOdnc0siZ42XInVnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks to all. I am discussing this with my electrician as I am not into
> risk. But giving up on X-10 at this point is not a great option for me
> (and many more I am sure). Other than occasional glitches, it seems to
> work very well and the costs are pretty low. It is not like any of this
> stuff is life/death so the occasional glitch can be tolerated and,
> hopefully, patched.

Giving up wasn't a great option for me either.  The wiring is 60 years old
and I didn't want to have to fuss with it to change out switches.  Had I
bought Insteon instead of the XTB, I probably would have had to pull the
switches twice because of their big
upgrade a.k.a. recall over the dimming problem.

> But I am out of space in my panel. So to do anything but a plug-in unit
> from Smarthome will require I get some duplex breakers. But that may be
> easier than the plug-in as my dryer has no room behind it.

"Dual Skinnies" install quite easily.  I had to swap out some single width
breakers for duals, as I too was out of circuits.  It should take a licensed
electrician 5 minutes, tops.  It took a little longer for me since the new
breakers looked quite different from the old ones and hooked onto the power
bus a little differently.  I ended up added four new GFCI protected outlets
and replaced single width breakers that had been tripped so many times that
the white lettering had worn off.  )-:

Now we can use the toaster oven, the microwave and the electric griddle all
at the same time, too, so there was a great SAF boost to getting the
electrical upgrade.  Another circuit powers the new outside CFL fixtures
because the old circuits didn't bring a neutral to the switch.  All of this
work was inspired by the arrival of the XTB-IIR.  From my experiences with
the non-coupler XTB version, I realized that a high-powered repeater/coupler
would eliminate most of my problems and it did.  It's *so* nice not to have
to remember that only the mini-controller in the bedroom can reach the
hallway light, etc, etc.

Bobby G.