Re: Question on Remote Data Access

Spam Catcher wrote:
> Spam Catcher <spamhoneypot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
> > "biff" <mbiegert@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:1167769912.559337.126550@
> > 48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:
> >
> >> I don't have a PC at the cabin. I just have a small controller board
> >> that puts the temperature data into flash memory. I can download the
> >> data into my laptop over RS232 when I am local. I am just trying to
> see
> >> if there is an easy way to get access to this file over a phone line.
> >>

> > I just saw this PC:
> >
> > http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjr/index.html
> >
> > It's a MicroPC, only 120.00... with that machine your possibilities
> are
> > almost endless?
>

> Perle carries several serial to terminal/ethernet devices. Something
> like this may work:
>
> http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-DS-Terminal-Server.shtml
>
> or
>
> http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-SDS-Terminal-Server.shtml
>
> Perle devices aren't cheap (400.00+), but they're reliable and flexible.
> If you know how to write C, these devices can run small micro
> applications (i.e. to do automated data collection and call out). Perle
> provides a SDK for the units. The company I work for uses a IOLAN SDS1 M
> for backup dialup to our NOC.
>
> A couple other companies sell similar devices - at a much lower price...
> but I'm not sure if they're any good.
>
> So, a MicroPC (or old PC) might turn out to be the cheapest solution to
> do what you want?

I hadn't seen the MicroPC before and I like that idea. I had tried
using a PC before, but the power at my cabin is very unreliable and I
was having trouble keeping the PC running. Thus, I started looking for
a more reliable solution. My little microcontroller on a 12 V UPS runs
like a champ (never misses a beat).

I would like to bounce an option off of you. I could hook a modem up to
the RS232 port on my microcontroller. I can write a short program to
command the modem to answer the phone. I then should be able to use
hyperterminal or kermit from my PC to read the file. What do you think
of that? I don't have any security concerns. The only information
someone could get is my lake level and lake temperature.