Re: Question on Remote Data Access

Spam Catcher <spamhoneypot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:Xns98ACADBAA716Cusenethoneypotrogers@xxxxxxxxx:

> "biff" <mbiegert@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:1167769912.559337.126550@
> 48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I don't have a PC at the cabin. I just have a small controller board
>> that puts the temperature data into flash memory. I can download the
>> data into my laptop over RS232 when I am local. I am just trying to
see
>> if there is an easy way to get access to this file over a phone line.
>>

> I just saw this PC:
>
> http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjr/index.html
>
> It's a MicroPC, only 120.00... with that machine your possibilities
are
> almost endless?

Perle carries several serial to terminal/ethernet devices. Something
like this may work:

http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-DS-Terminal-Server.shtml

or

http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-SDS-Terminal-Server.shtml

Perle devices aren't cheap (400.00+), but they're reliable and flexible.
If you know how to write C, these devices can run small micro
applications (i.e. to do automated data collection and call out). Perle
provides a SDK for the units. The company I work for uses a IOLAN SDS1 M
for backup dialup to our NOC.

A couple other companies sell similar devices - at a much lower price...
but I'm not sure if they're any good.

So, a MicroPC (or old PC) might turn out to be the cheapest solution to
do what you want?