Re: Question on Remote Data Access

On 2 Jan 2007 09:59:10 -0800, biff wrote:
> I have a situation where I have some sensors I want to montor manually
> at my cabin (say once a week). The sensor data I am gathering is in the
> form of a small file, say 5Kbytes. It is simple stuff, mainly
> temperature profiles. I have a little controller (STAMP based)
> gathering the data; it is not a PC, but it has a USB and RS232
> interface. I do not have Internet access at the cabin. Is there an easy
> way for me to set up a phone interface to this unit so that I can call
> it from my PC and pick up this data? No problem adding a modem. I am
> just looking for the simplest way to get the data.

Hook up a modem to the board, set p the modem to auto answer and have
the program wait for some string (hello world :-) and dump the data.
When done wait for another string to delete the data then a command to
hand up. If no hello then hang up (+++ ATH0).

I've simplified this a bit for explanation but it should be too hard
to do with the correct modem. You'll need an external modem, a phone
line, an RS232 cable and your stamp. I don't think you afraid to
program. :-) To use just dial in when ever you want issue the hello
and log the text data to a file. You could write an automated program
on your local PC to dial out and retrieve the data. I have other ideas
too.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site