Re: Question on Remote Data Access

> I would like to bounce an option off of you. I could hook a modem up to
> the RS232 port on my microcontroller. I can write a short program to
> command the modem to answer the phone.

Or just configure the modem to always answer the phone.  Most will let you
set this into the flash NVRAM.  Then you'd just be calling it and getting
connected straight to the serial device.  If you wanted to get fancier, and
the phone line had Caller ID, you could have your serial device look to see
what number is calling before answering.

But if the serial device is programmable enough, what about having it call
you instead?  You could then have a PC on your end do the same thing, see
what number is calling (perhaps even by time of day) and answer only when it
knows the cabin's calling.  That and the receiving PC could do all the hard
work that the programming limitations in the serial box might not support.
Call the PC and let the PC do all the rest.

-Bill Kearney