Re: Re: motion detectors: need some input

Tom Van den Panhuyzen wrote:

>First of all: thanks to all for all the input.
>
>Kevin,
>When you say that NETIOM will be available with xAP and/or xPL, do you
>mean the device itself will send/listen to xpl messages ?  Or can the
>current interface (i.e. webserver/emails/watchdog mode...) be used to
>create xpl messages from that ?

Yes, the Netiom will shortly be available  with xAP firmware, Pahedrus
have written the code  - it will retain all the appropriate existing
feature set as well .. the xPL firmware is being written by Lehane  - I
believe his intention is that you  buy a standard Netiom and just swap
the chip around . Either way , yes the Netiom will speak xAP or xPL
directly on Ethernet - it's a great I/O device and ideally suited to
either protocol.  (no you couldn't code the current interface to speak
xAP or xPL - it's a firmware addition)

>If xPL is (going to be) built-in:
>- when will it be available ?

I'll have to leave that to Lehane to answer but bear in mind that it's
quite an undertaking to code this (on a PIC inc Ethernet) and it will
require a lot of testing to get just right. The xAP one is just about to
enter beta testing , so probably a month or so away still

>- can it be upgraded with new firmware releases or so ?  Not that I
>don't have confidence in Lehane ;-)

Firmware upgrades would be a chip (processor) swap so no problems there

>When I read the pages on VIOM and NETIOM I see a lot of different
>words (which I don't understand...)  I trust you that it can be used
>for the PIRs, but somebody will have to tell me how to wire the
>things! (David is already a candidate if I go VIOM! :-)

The VIOM and Netiom both have similar interfaces to attach to the PIR's
- you are effectively just using a single digital input signal per PIR.
No problem - loads of people can show you to achieve this, it's very
straightforward to do..

>About the PIRs themselves.  It seems that many outdoor models handle
>big loads (240V/2000W), so they can switch lights on themselves.

Yes - of course the main usage of outside PIR's is security lighting -
whereas indoors are more delicately used in alarm systems. You wouldnt
really want mains switching PIR's in your application.

> Are
>these kinds usable with the VIOM and/or NETIOM ?  Or should I go for
>models that have max 28V alarm output or so ?   Maybe somebody can
>give me a pointer to robust, ordinary PIRs for outdoor use...  Google
>gives 69000 hits for "outdoor PIR".  Sigh.

Most PIR's don't usually generate a voltage - they are usually like a
switch in that they 'connect' whatever you feed in to their output when
they are triggered (or possibly the reverse, removing the signal when
triggered). hence if you feed 230V in then 230V comes out.. The
'contacts' have to be rated to handle the voltage in use and to carry
the current drawn . For connection to a Viom/Netiom you can't use mains
voltage directly so the lighter duty 12V/24V rated ones are probably the
ones to go for. This level of signal can directly attach to a
VIOM/Netiom input - (the current is not important here at all). It would
be possible to use mains switching PIR's by making them switch a relay
and then use the contacts on the relay into the Netiom. The relays
isolate the mains voltage from the contacts ,and hence the Netiom,
making it useable and safe. However this means mains wiring outside
which always needs more care and it is harder to wire using the relay.
What is your intention when something trips the outside PIR - ie what do
you want to happen eventually ?

Kevin

>Tom
>

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:26:26 +0000, Kevin Hawkins
><lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>One other possibility - instead of the VIOM use a NETIOM (still
from
>>Phaedrus). This would save on an MSS100 (doing myself out of a sale
>>here). The Netiom is effectively an Ethernet connected version of
the
>>VIOM , with a slightly different feature set.  The NETIOM will be
>>available shortly from Phaedrus  with xAP firmware inbuilt or
(likely
>>better for you as you wouldn't need to bridge it with an xPLHAL
script)
>>xPL firmware which is I believe provided by Lehane on this list.
Your