Re: Re: motion detectors: need some input

Batteries... don't get me started.  Batteries and me, we don't get along.
Running on batteries: a clock, 2 remotes, mouse, cellular phone,
toothbrush, PIR, camera, ...  If my girlfriend dryed her hair, I
cannot brush my teeth because the thing was unplugged for more than 15
minutes.  I have to buy a new phone because the batteries are depleted
in no time (interludium: new phone ?  Yes, because did you know that
replacement batteries are put in stock at the same time as the
production of the phone...)  My camera faints on every crucial
occasion.
I don't want to challenge the gods, so no batteries for me.  And no
ladders and no reading that little folded book and re-programming via
those little buttons... (I 'll be on the ladder enough to replace
lamps, because I've got the same relationship with lamps :-)

The fact that in case of a power failure the motion detectors are out
of order doesn't bother me, because they would command the lights and
camera wich will not work either.

Would this be a feasible scenario:

1) standard motion detectors
2) connected to a VIOM unit
3) connected to an MSS100
4) connected to the LAN via a wireless access point
5) another wireless access point on the already existing hub
6) xpl-messages on the LAN

Questions:
Between 1) and 2): the VIOM detects the open/close state of a motion
detector ?  No extras required ?

6) I do not understand how RS232 signals are packaged and put on the
network... What is needed to interprete these packages ?  Will it work
with John's xPL VIOM interface ?

Thanks,
Tom