Re: motion detectors: need some input

Hi Tom,

answers inline...

On 09/01/2005 at 15:22 Tom Van den Panhuyzen wrote:

>Hi Andy,
>
>Thanks for the link & input.
>Is it possible to connect a standard motion detector (e.g.
>http://securityideasvar.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=322)
>directly to a VIOM ?  I do not understand a thing about the
>specifications... "Form C relay output" ?  "NC NO 28V DC
0.2A Max" ?

NC = Normally Closed
NO = Normally Open

These refer to the contacts, think of a momentary push button switch. While
you hold the button down the contacts are closed (circuit is completed)
when you let go the contacts open (the circuit is not complete)

28V at 0.2 amps is the max voltage that the PIR circuit can cope with - ie
max that you could pass through the circuit without breaking the PIR (or
blowing it up ;)  )

>As the VIOM is xpl'ed (http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/xplviom/)
this
>could be a neat solution.

Yup, that's why I mentioned it :D

>On the other hand, I just realised another obstacle.  The point where
>the motion detector cabling comes together is nowhere near a
>computer...  and I cannot move the HA-pc, because its also firewall
>and sits close to where the internet enters the house.  (and running
>2 extra UTP cables is not an option here)

Well, there are a couple of options here... you could buy some Ethernet
over power - these give you a network connection anywhere you have a
standard power socket. You could then put a small pc (maybe VIA fanless
based)  at that location, or use something like a Rabbit or a Lantronix
network-to-serial converter http://tinyurl.com/4t63v

>Putting an X10 signal on the house circuit from the room where the
>detectors cables enter seems to be a solution.
>
>Can it be done with this: SM10
>http://www.intellihome.be/english/productview.asp?id=17
?

Yup, that would probably work, but remember if multiple X10 signals are
being sent at the same time the PIR action might be missed...

>Or should there be a VIOM in between the regular motion detector (does
>such a thing exist ?  Any pointers to reliable online shops / products
>?) and the X10 module ?

I'd wire the PIRS back to the same place in the house and have the VIOM
there, then use some method (eg above) of getting this to your PC ...

http://www.laser.com
http://www.letsautomate.com
http://www.intellihome.be

http://tinyurl.com/4k278