Re: motion detectors: need some input

On 09/01/2005 at 13:21 Tom Van den Panhuyzen wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I could use some advice regarding motion detectors.
>

>Possible routes
>- Install standard motion detectors (5 wires will suffice to feed them
>get notifications I suppose) and couple them with some unit that puts
>an X10 signal on the house circuit.  But what's the output of such a
>motion detector ?  What coupling device to use ?
>- other route ??
>

>This is probably very basic stuff for the most of you, so when you
>stopped laughing, please enlighten me :-)
>
>Regards,
>Tom

Using standard PIR's seems to make much more sense in this situation,
perhaps connected to a VOIM unit and thus to your PC for which you could
write the software to send out xpl packets... Of course the biggest problem
is that if your PC fails your security system is useless... It may be worth
investing in something like a Comfort alarm, then interfacing with that to
send the xpl packets, that way even if the PC fails the alarm system still
works...

There are no xpl'd PIR's that I'm aware of available off the shelf...

Andy