Re: Re: motion detectors: need some input

Hi Marc,

Indeed, that would be an option too *if* I could run an extra cable
(USB in this case) from the place where the PIR wiring comes together
to the HA pc.
The VIOM+MSS100 or NETIOM can be put on a wireless LAN.  (It adds to
the coolness factor)

Thanks,
Tom

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:50:12 -0000, Marc Hanbuerger
<Marc.HAnbuerger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> >Can it be done with this: SM10
> > >http://www.intellihome.be/english/productview.asp?id=3D17
> <http://www.intellihome.be/english/productview.asp?id=3D17>
 ?

> > Yup, that would probably work, but remember if multiple X10
> signals are being sent at the same time the PIR action might be
> missed...
>=20
>=20
> Just another thought about an alternative to that device above:
>=20
> What if you need to connect a couple motion detectors and / or window
ree=
> switches etc etc? At =CB=8650 per connection, it gets
expensive=E2=80=A6
>=20
> I've had the same problem and used a standard DIY motion detector
connect=
ed
> to this device:
>=20
> http://www.devasys.com/usbi2cio.htm
<http://www.devasys.com/usbi2cio.htm>
>=20
> it's a 20 port configurable in / output USB device (which should be
enoug=
> for now, if not, you can always add another board :-) )
>=20
> Since this devices needs 3-5V triggering it, (240V directly coming
from t=
he
> motion detector would blow it up!) I used a Relay that gets triggered
by =
the
> motion detector instead of the normal lamp.
> The relay then switches the 5V that the input of the USB ports needs.
(th=
> SM10 will by the way require something similar: it either accepts 'low
> voltage', ie. 6-18V or a dry closure, which is basically connecting
the t=
wo
> input pins together.
> A standard motion  detector will mostly switch a lamp, therefore has
240V
> output. You would also need to put a relay in between.
> Here is where you can get one: (scroll down till you find one for
240V)
>=20
> http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?Ntt=3Drelay&Nty=3D=
1&N=3D100

4628++401&Ntk=3Dgensearch&=3D0&showImages=3Dtrue&viewType=3Dnull&comSearc=
h=3Dtrue&manu

facturerDisplay=3Dtrue&No=3D0&showImages=3Dtrue&viewType=3Dnull&comSearch=
=3Dtrue&manuf
> acturerDisplay=3Dtrue
>=20
> www.conrad.de <http://www.conrad.de/>  have them as
well=E2=80=A6
>=20
> the only problem is that you'll need an USB cable from your computer
> where ever you set the board up + you'll need to write some software
to r=
ead