Re: xAP Slim Connector

  • Subject: Re: xAP Slim Connector
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:45:00 +0000

Kevin has been using the (as yet unreleased) Slim Connector for a
while now, but found that builds from this year were notably slower
than one from mid-December.

I've just been comparing the very latest one I've prepared and this
12-Dec version, which I believe you have a copy of, Michael? I'm only
comparing the console versions here as I haven't tested the service
version, and the GUI version has all its knobs and whistles on.

It's a little difficult to judge in some respects, but I *think* the
newest build (in console mode at least, and therefore presumably as a
service too) is much faster than the 12-Dec version. When I am
changing tracks via the remote there are different messages appearing
between the 2 builds, as I have changed the way the newer version
processes the Slim events. So that's hard to compare by eye.

But if I hold down an IR button when the player is in its off mode the
events whizz past much faster on the new build.

In fact, if I count the number of events that are displayed for any
single second during the test run, I find that I am seeing twice the
number of messages per second for the newest version.

I have counted this a few times and the ratio between the two remains
about the same. This suggests the newer build is up to twice as fast
as your previous favourite version, Kevin, so I think I can say
there's no reason to keep the older one!

And coincidentally I am running both versions simultaneously here so
they are both receiving the exact same set of events from the same
SlimServer.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=NrgUljAiuuPPjROh5KSslsSHLP8jwlMBxgms0A0Jo3WPM03QHyVjyQXeI4FDU80zSKGhz0Zq18_bRCLyF-NOAzni">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net