Re: Duplicated xAP messages

  • Subject: Re: Duplicated xAP messages
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:15:00 +0000

I just remembered we never resolved this.

Patrick suggested a while ago that "if the messages are sent out on
multiple interfaces, then you will see duplicates because a tcp/ip
broadcast cannot be filtered by network interface."

I just checked and sure enough xAPFramework is doing a simple
broadcast to 255.255.255.255, which will likely end up going out to
all interfaces.

So. There are a couple of things you can try to see if this helps the
problem. I built these into xFx yonks ago (ie when I started writing
it) but have never ever used them myself! James, maybe you could do me
a favour and try this out with your VirtualPC doodad?

Taking Viewer as an example, although *ANY* xFx-based application will
accept these, edit the app's .config file and in the appSettings
section add:

<add key="xAPBroadcastOnLocalSubnet" value="1" />

Try that one first and see what happens. I'm not sure that it will
make the hoped for difference though. I'm just curious to know what
happens in this case.

Next try adding this to the .config file. You WILL need to remove the
above line if it is present.

<add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="<your IP address
here>" />

And replace <your IP address here> with the IP address you want to
send on, e.g:

<add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="192.168.1.11" />

It seems this is my method of selecting the network interface. But
I've never had a need for it, so I'll be very interested to hear if
that helps at all.

Do let me know,

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=ePVznW2BIR8z93z5J_nadcCDAI0SgnB_HCK91P2Yub1dx_BTU8-3B357pB21xi4uiZwaCfOkF0XCngJ1UXM">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net