Re: smpt and xFP cmds was xAP News 3.1 Released

> I think it would be useful for Floorplan to be able to do that but
instead
> of relying on polling a pop3 mailbox which introduces a delay, it
would do
> it immediately when an email is received over smtp?

Right, totally get the idea now. I'm not exactly sure how the email
server configuration would work so that just certain emails get
forwarded to an alternate smtp server, but i'm guessing it something
sendmail can do. If you are using sendmail then you could probably do
something in a procmail script?  Either way I like the concept, I do
think it shouldn't be internal to Floorplan but a seperate gateway app
and i can imagine that dealing with all the slight differences between
smtp servers would prove tricky.
As a possible alternate I have been working on a Jabber connector.
Jabber is an instant messenger protocol  so has all the advantages of
presence, two way instant chat etc. Clients exist for pretty much all
platforms and unlike the closed msm, skype,aim type instant messagers
all jabber systems talk to each other. My jabber bot links to my home
jabber server. At work we use jabber for our internal IM and i can
simply add my home jabber bot as a contact even though it's on a totally
different server. The bot is still rather dumb but can respond to simple
questions and can send on command xAP messages, and because it's instant
i can get a reply straight away.

> It would also be good to be able to send Floorplan a simple xap
message by
> email like:
>
> <xAP>
> Class=floorplan.cmd (??)
> <msg>
> script.execute (??)
> {
> script=MissedCalls
> }
> </xAP>
>
> and Floorplan would then immediately run the script
"MissedCalls".

absolutly, tbh i'm not sure why I've never had that!  It should also be
possible to include time information so you can say run the script at
10pm etc.

> Hope that makes more sense??

Yep, I get  there in the end ;-)

James