Re: best HD media player to replace xbmc

John,

All Xbox 360s are the same console with HDMI - split into 3 versions as
fol=
lows (ignoring gaming stuff)
Arcade - no HDD - basic video lead
Premium - 60GB HDD - component/5.1 lead
Elite - 120GB HDD - black case - HDMI lead and phono/5.1 lead (this lead
is=
a rare item and is only available with Elite)

Best way to get music and video is to stream from MCE or Vista.  360 HDD
wo=
uld only be useful for you to locally store ripped CDs or Xbox Live
downloa=
ded video and IPTV.  If you want to use HDMI and optical 5.1 then, daft as
=
it may sound, might be an idea to get an Elite as it comes with all the
lea=
ds.

Don't bother with wireless for HD content.
You can attach an external HDD (FAT32 or Mac HFS+ formats) via USB
Also the 360 makes a good job of upscaling standard DVD
360s can be a bit noisy but the newer ones are much quieter and the autumn
=
update is suppose to improve it even more.
You would probably want an IR remote (approx =A320) or just use a Pronto
et=
c...
You can plug in your portable MP3 player for additional music or camera or
=
compatable card reader for photos.
No 3rd part software available.
Check your existing files to see if they are compatible with 360 - loads
of=
info on avforums and elsewhere.

Regards

Simon