Re: NAS or WHS

Geoff,
I have no experience of WHS, but am using a Synology DS207+. I am=20
very happy with it, it does what a NAS server should do and then some.=20
If you want a NAS box it works, if you are happy with Linux it can do a=20
lot more.

I even use it with ser2net to connect to a USB to serial and then to my=20
serial to CAN network box, so I can get to my central heating over TCP/IP.
Pete

Geoff H wrote:
> I would like to canvas opinion from the group as to the best way to
go=20
> with regards to providing network storage, primarily for backup,
but=20
> also so SWMBO can get access to the digital photos from her laptop.
>
> I was going to buy a Synology CS407e which is currently around =A3250
for=
=20
> a barebones unit, until I came across a HP Mediasmart Windows Home=20
> Server with one 500Gb disk installed for around =A3300. I know
Synology=20
> NAS units have been recommended in the past but does anyone have=20
> experience of the HP Mediasmart WHS system in particular and also
how=20
> WHS compares to a NAS unit. I am not too bothered about remote
access,=20
> the prime motivation is backing up, two desktop PCs and two laptop
PCs=20
> and also making available the digital photos, music and video.
>
> Whichever method I choose, I have already got 3x500Gb disks available
to=
=20