NAS or WHS

I would like to canvas opinion from the group as to the best way to go
with regards to providing network storage, primarily for backup, but
also so SWMBO can get access to the digital photos from her laptop.

I was going to buy a Synology CS407e which is currently around £250
for
a barebones unit, until I came across a HP Mediasmart Windows Home
Server with one 500Gb disk installed for around £300. I know Synology
NAS units have been recommended in the past but does anyone have
experience of the HP Mediasmart WHS system in particular and also how
WHS compares to a NAS unit. I am not too bothered about remote access,
the prime motivation is backing up, two desktop PCs and two laptop PCs
and also making available the digital photos, music and video.

Whichever method I choose, I have already got 3x500Gb disks available to
install into it to get me started.

What are peoples experiences with either route?

TIA
Geoff

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109