From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Geoff H
Sent: 27 November 2008 09:43
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] NAS or WHS

=20

I would like to canvas opinion from the group as to the best way to go=20
with regards to providing network storage, primarily for backup, but=20
also so SWMBO can get access to the digital photos from her laptop.

I was going to buy a Synology CS407e which is currently around =A3250
for=20
a barebones unit, until I came across a HP Mediasmart Windows Home=20
Server with one 500Gb disk installed for around =A3300. I know Synology=20
NAS units have been recommended in the past but does anyone have=20
experience of the HP Mediasmart WHS system in particular and also how=20
WHS compares to a NAS unit. I am not too bothered about remote access,=20
the prime motivation is backing up, two desktop PCs and two laptop PCs=20
and also making available the digital photos, music and video.

Whichever method I choose, I have already got 3x500Gb disks available to=20
install into it to get me started.

What are peoples experiences with either route?

TIA
Geoff

=20