RE: [SPAM] X10 and Ethernet over power

To be honest you *DON'T* have a choice ...

... these Ethernet over power things are very much like wireless networking
in the way they handle throughput in that whatever speed units you get
you'll get about a third of their rated speed in real world data
throughput=
.

If you want to stream video then to have any success you'll *HAVE* to go
fo=
the 200mbits ones - I use the proper Devolo AV's, they're a bit more
expensive than the other makes but they seem solid enough.

I haven't tried the cheapest units but I did try the NetGear ones and
didn'=
have much luck with them (could well have been a fauly set though as they
were "Pre-Owned" at PC World and hence had been reduced - it's
possible
someone had bought them, found them faulty and had taken them back.

Phil

cost,
> as
> ever, is key. will only be used to stream data from MCE box to one
> (possibly
> two XBMC clients) - so 100Mbit should be ample.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Rob
>=20
>=20
> 2008/5/4 <thedot@xxxxxxx>:
>=20
> >   Hi Neil,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > Wow, cannot believe I mixed them up. Indeed I meant
"Ethernet over
> Power"
> > I have PoE in the house as well but I was most concerned with
> "Ethernet
> > over Power".
> >
> > Phil - Thank you also for you reply !
> >
> > Cheers Eric
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Are you talking "Power over Ethernet" or
"Ethernet over Power"? I
> > presume
> > > "Ethernet over Power".
> > > Two different things.
> > >
> > > I was also curious about the "Ethernet over Power"
> > > In particular the Netgear equipment.
> > >

> http://www.netgear.com.au/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEtherne
> tAdap
> > > ters.aspx
> > >
> > > There has been some discussion in the local Australian
electronics
> > > magazine
> > > (Silicon Chip) about "Ethernet over Power" devices
causing