RE: PC Power Supplies

The old 20-Pin mobo PSU connectors were (some time ago) supplemented
by an
additional and separate 12v 4-Pin connector - this is usually a
2-Yellow-2-Black cable and is in a separate loom to the ATX connector.

On more recent boards still the 20-Pin ATX connector was
"upgraded" to a
24-Pin connector and you can get 20-Pin PSU to 24-Pin mobo (and 24-Pin PSU
to 20-Pin mobo) adapter cables if you need them from places like Maplin.

The two 4-Pin bits are not the same though as far as I am aware.

If you have a 4-Pin auxiliary power connector on the motherboard then you
will need to power it as my understanding is that it supplies additional
power required for the CPU as they became more power-hungry. Similarly if
you have a 24-Pin ATX header on the mobo (which I suspect you don't as it
doesn't sound so recent) then you will need to power the whole socket.

HTH

Phil

of four" break
> away
> with a little pressure, to plug into the extra socket.  could be
> something
> completely different / irrelevant - in which case, just ignore me -
> thought
> I'd mention it just in case....
>
> best of luck.
>
> R.
>
> 2008/5/5 Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx>:
>
> >   Hi all,
> >
> > I'm still staggering from obstacle to obstacle with my music
server
> PC...
> >
> > I now have all the bits, or at least I thought I had - my Socket
> > mobo has a 20-pin ATX connector, and only now, do I see it also
has a
> > 4-pin connector labelled as "Vcore" in the translated
manual. My
> power
> > suply doesn't have this 4-pin connector. From a bit of googling
it
> > appears my mobo is newer than my PSU.
> >
> > Do I *need* this 4-pin supply ("Aux 12V" ?) connected?
I am guessing