Re: {Disarmed} RE: VOIP service

Paul,

If you go down the virtualisation route - yes you cannot use inboard=20=20
PCI cards, however as I tried to say in my previous post - the Sipura=20=20
SPA-3000 (or similar) lets you network attach the FXO,FXS=20=20
capabilities provided by the PCI Cards and integrate these with the=20=20
main asterisk VM.

I run my Trixbox on my =A399 dell server from way back.  I hardly
ever=20=20
need to go to the excellent trixbox web gui unless I need to tweak=20=20
something.

Adrian

On 3 Oct 2007, at 10:05, Paul Gordon wrote:

> This is something I had considered...
>
> Doesn't asterisk et al require dedicated hardware in the
"server"
> though? - don't think any of the popular virtualisation platforms are
> able to map PCI devices from the host into VM's yet can they?
>
> Also, I suppose if there really isn't anything to compete with this in
> the windows world, then an "appliance" would not be out of
the=20=20
> question,
> provided it was low running cost, and relatively low maintenance=20=20
> (which
> I suppose it would be compared to software on a WIN box anyway!). A
> small 1U rackmount unit that just needed a couple of
connections,=20=20
> and a
> browser to manage it, humming away consuming only a small amount of
> power could well be a go-er...
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul G.

Win2K3