Re: VOIP service

Well, seeing as we're on the topic, a bunch of friends of mine all
work for a new VOIP provider called Localphone, www.localphone.com

They're in private beta at the moment, but if anyone wants an invite,
drop me a note off list ...

On 10/3/07, Andy Davies <dajdavies@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Digium also have an Asterisk appliance but it's not available over
here
> yet...
>
> http://www.digium.com/en/products/hardware/appliance.php
>
> On 02/10/2007, Raymond Kelly <raymondtkelly@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > As you say Asterisk is an obvious answer, but there isn't
anything in
> > Windows land that comes to mind. Been following this stuff for a
few
> > years.
> > The basic function of call handling should ideally be on
dedicated
> > hardware.
> > An interesting link appeared recently about embedded Asterisk
> > http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/index.html
> >
> > On 02/10/2007, Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >   Hi Des,
> > >
> > > Actually, the answer is kind of both....
> > >
> > > I do want to start experimenting with "proper"
VOIP for home, since
> > > Virgin (Nee NTL), don't look like ever getting round to
giving me a CLID
> > > service...
> > >
> > > In addition, I also need to consider some "small
business" type services
> > > that my company may look into offering as a value added
service on top
> > > of some existing small business server solutions...
> > >
> > > In both cases, Windows platforms are the norm... - I have a
full W2K3
> > > server, and the business platforms are all based on
SBS2003R2. Since I
> > > tend to prefer to have the same full-on enterprise class
products at
> > > home as I use for work, I'd probably want to have just 1
solution for
> > > both uses... (My home servers are all enterprise version of
Windows
> > > server, Exchange server, etc.)
> > >
> > > What (I think) I want is your basic VOIP telephony system,
that provides
> > > (say) about 6 handsets, (but should be scalable), and a nice
GUI
> > > interface running on the Windows server to configure it. I'd
rather have
> > > "proper" (i.e. physical, desktop) phones than
software phones in 99% of
> > > locations.. - for my laptop, a software phone and the need
to wear a
> > > headset would be OK, but everywhere else a real phone would
be better
> > > for WAF (and other end-user acceptance).
> > >
> > > If there are "little black boxes" that provide a
POTS port & a LAN port
> > > so that any old standard analog POTS phone could be
connected to the IP
> > > network that would be great, as then existing phones could
be used, &
> > > end-users would be none the wiser.
> > >
> > > I'd like to have some fairly standard business-class
PBX-type
> > > facilities, such as:
> > >
> > > Group pick-up
> > > Internal to internal extension dialling
> > > Night mode (i.e. auto-divert to answering machine at 17:30)
> > > Music on hold
> > > Multiple incoming & outgoing simultaneous calls possible
> > > Auto-divert on busy
> > > DDI to all extensions
> > > Call screening based in CLID with rule-based processing of
the call
> > > handling (the screaming monkeys scenario)
> > > Voice mailbox for all extensions
> > > Etc...
> > >
> > > Further to that, some clever integration with Outlook (for
now) would be
> > > really good, and in the not-too-distant future with Exchange
2007's
> > > voice features would also be invaluable.
> > >
> > > In the first instance this would be something I would
implement for
> > > myself, (I like to "dogfood" test such things
before I consider offering
> > > a service to anyone else!). However, with the consideration
that my
> > > company might then be interested in implementing it
in-house, and then
> > > eventually possibly even offering it as a saleable
"solution", there is
> > > obviously funding for, (and actually a requirement for)
products that
> > > are reliable, and supportable. It should be standards-based,
and from a
> > > provider with a proven model in B2B service and support.
> > >
> > > My own personal interest is in the "whiz-bang"
features, and integration
> > > with HA, etc. however, the business aspect of the
consideration will be
> > > more concerned with cost-savings...
> > >
> > > So a little bit of everything you said then!!!
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > Paul G.

[mailto:
> > > ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf