Re: VOIP service

As you say Asterisk is an obvious answer, but there isn't anything in
Windows land that comes to mind. Been following this stuff for a few years.
The basic function of call handling should ideally be on dedicated
hardware.
An interesting link appeared recently about embedded Asterisk
http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/index.html

On 02/10/2007, Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Hi Des,
>
> Actually, the answer is kind of both....
>
> I do want to start experimenting with "proper" VOIP for
home, since
> Virgin (Nee NTL), don't look like ever getting round to giving me a
CLID
> service...
>
> In addition, I also need to consider some "small business"
type services
> that my company may look into offering as a value added service on top
> of some existing small business server solutions...
>
> In both cases, Windows platforms are the norm... - I have a full W2K3
> server, and the business platforms are all based on SBS2003R2. Since I
> tend to prefer to have the same full-on enterprise class products at
> home as I use for work, I'd probably want to have just 1 solution for
> both uses... (My home servers are all enterprise version of Windows
> server, Exchange server, etc.)
>
> What (I think) I want is your basic VOIP telephony system, that
provides
> (say) about 6 handsets, (but should be scalable), and a nice GUI
> interface running on the Windows server to configure it. I'd rather
have
> "proper" (i.e. physical, desktop) phones than software
phones in 99% of
> locations.. - for my laptop, a software phone and the need to wear a
> headset would be OK, but everywhere else a real phone would be better
> for WAF (and other end-user acceptance).
>
> If there are "little black boxes" that provide a POTS port
& a LAN port
> so that any old standard analog POTS phone could be connected to the
IP
> network that would be great, as then existing phones could be used,
&
> end-users would be none the wiser.
>
> I'd like to have some fairly standard business-class PBX-type
> facilities, such as:
>
> Group pick-up
> Internal to internal extension dialling
> Night mode (i.e. auto-divert to answering machine at 17:30)
> Music on hold
> Multiple incoming & outgoing simultaneous calls possible
> Auto-divert on busy
> DDI to all extensions
> Call screening based in CLID with rule-based processing of the call
> handling (the screaming monkeys scenario)
> Voice mailbox for all extensions
> Etc...
>
> Further to that, some clever integration with Outlook (for now) would
be
> really good, and in the not-too-distant future with Exchange 2007's
> voice features would also be invaluable.
>
> In the first instance this would be something I would implement for
> myself, (I like to "dogfood" test such things before I
consider offering
> a service to anyone else!). However, with the consideration that my
> company might then be interested in implementing it in-house, and then
> eventually possibly even offering it as a saleable
"solution", there is
> obviously funding for, (and actually a requirement for) products that
> are reliable, and supportable. It should be standards-based, and from
> provider with a proven model in B2B service and support.
>
> My own personal interest is in the "whiz-bang" features, and
integration
> with HA, etc. however, the business aspect of the consideration will
be
> more concerned with cost-savings...
>
> So a little bit of everything you said then!!!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul G.

"proper" VOIP
> > > service up & running, but I really don't know much about
the
> > > current state of the "market" (so to speak)...
I've never