RE: VOIP service

  • Subject: RE: VOIP service
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 01:20:21 +0100

=20

I had a feeling you would say that ;)

> I do want to start experimenting with "proper" VOIP for
home,=20
> since Virgin (Nee NTL), don't look like ever getting round to=20
> giving me a CLID service...

First things first, I would sign up for a free account with sipgate which
will give you an incoming UK geographic number in your choice of area code.

I don't really rate sipgate as a provider, but it is free :))

You can mess about with a softphone for a while, but I would buy some
hardware to get you going.

Option a.   Buy a Linksys PAP2 (=A326+V) which you can plug 2 x  corded or
dect phone into.

Option b. Buy a Linsys SPA-3102 (=A338+V) which will give you 1 phone
port(FXS) and one line port(FXO)

Option c. Buy a proper SIP handset ( Something like a Linksys SPA-941 at
around =A350+V)

That will give you some technology to play with, and get your head around
some of the issues involved in installing VOIP.

>=20
> In addition, I also need to consider some "small
business"=20
> type services that my company may look into offering as a=20
> value added service on top of some existing small business=20
> server solutions...

At the current state of play, either learn Asterisk, or go for a managed
PABX from someone like Gradwell.

>=20
> In both cases, Windows platforms are the norm... - I have a=20
> full W2K3 server, and the business platforms are all based on=20
> SBS2003R2. Since I tend to prefer to have the same full-on=20
> enterprise class products at home as I use for work, I'd=20
> probably want to have just 1 solution for both uses... (My=20
> home servers are all enterprise version of Windows server,=20
> Exchange server, etc.)

I understand your point, although I am the opposite, if it doesn't run on
RHEL it doesn't run on my servers ;)

>=20
> What (I think) I want is your basic VOIP telephony system,=20
> that provides
> (say) about 6 handsets, (but should be scalable), and a nice=20
> GUI interface running on the Windows server to configure it.=20

The only windows SIP PABX I have heard of is 3cx.com, could be a pile of
dogpoo for all I know, but it is free so you can  suck it and see.

Linux is where it is at for VOIP, trying to go away from that will
drastically reduce your options.

Another option which might suit is the Linksys SPA-9000 hardware PABX (Do I
sound like a Linksys fanboy) (About =A3150-=A3270+V) It is a bit
restricted=
, but
if you don't do Linux, it might be easier to support.

> I'd rather have "proper" (i.e. physical, desktop) phones
than=20
> software phones in 99% of locations.. - for my laptop, a=20
> software phone and the need to wear a headset would be OK,=20
> but everywhere else a real phone would be better for WAF (and=20
> other end-user acceptance).
>=20
> If there are "little black boxes" that provide a POTS port
&=20
> a LAN port so that any old standard analog POTS phone could=20
> be connected to the IP network that would be great, as then=20
> existing phones could be used, & end-users would be none the
wiser.

I use some ATA's like the Linksys PAP2, and also proper SIP phones. For
business use I would go SIP phone every time.

>=20
> I'd like to have some fairly standard business-class PBX-type=20
> facilities, such as:
>=20
> Group pick-up
> Internal to internal extension dialling
> Night mode (i.e. auto-divert to answering machine at 17:30)=20
> Music on hold Multiple incoming & outgoing simultaneous calls=20
> possible Auto-divert on busy DDI to all extensions Call=20
> screening based in CLID with rule-based processing of the=20
> call handling (the screaming monkeys scenario) Voice mailbox=20
> for all extensions Etc...

The fancier you want to get, the more you will need Asterisk!

>=20
> Further to that, some clever integration with Outlook (for=20
> now) would be really good, and in the not-too-distant future=20
> with Exchange 2007's voice features would also be invaluable.

Outlook integration is on my research list, I don't know what is available.

>=20
> In the first instance this would be something I would=20
> implement for myself, (I like to "dogfood" test such
things=20
> before I consider offering a service to anyone else!).=20
> However, with the consideration that my company might then be=20
> interested in implementing it in-house, and then eventually=20
> possibly even offering it as a saleable "solution", there
is=20
> obviously funding for, (and actually a requirement for)=20
> products that are reliable, and supportable. It should be=20
> standards-based, and from a provider with a proven model in=20
> B2B service and support.

An old but true saying....

How to make a small fortune in VOIP ................. Start with a large
one! :)

>=20
> My own personal interest is in the "whiz-bang" features,
and=20
> integration with HA, etc. however, the business aspect of the=20
> consideration will be more concerned with cost-savings...

Cost savings are tiny. You can use CPS to get close to most VOIP rates. In
certain circumstances such as between branch  offices there can be large
savings, but you also need to factor in extra bandwidth in your costings.

(btw, with NTL, you have very low upstream bandwidth to play with.)

=20
> So a little bit of everything you said then!!!

I would jump right in, get some hardware to configure, do some research on
providers etc. I use the following:-

Voip.co.uk
Sipgate.co.uk
Voipcheap.com ( My current favourite for outgoing calls)
Enta.net=20
Voiptalk.co.uk  (Only just investigating them)

I would recommend www.gradwell.co.uk for business use, the above providers
(apart from Enta) are domestic providers with previous periods of downtime,
see uk.telecom.voip

Cheers, Des.