Re: Re: Advice please on running cat5

Depends what equipment you want to centralise. You can always have
more than
one cabinet and have a "trunk" run between them.

Since Node-0 is normally the termination point for all your Cat-5 runs,
it's
not feasible to move it. You need to think about what stuff you absolutely
have to have connected during your building project and what kind of trunk
connections would be required to relocate the equipment to another cabinet.
Or just distribute it round your top floor on all those room-by-room cat-5
outlets you are putting in.  Then have temporary patching in the basement.
Use a small fanless switch if necessary. You might even consider power over
Ethernet to power it if no power in the basement. Or, God Forbid, use
_wireless_ whilst you are building ;-)

Alternatively you could have a small patch cabinet on every floor, with
trunks to the basement as the final design, this would give you a temporary
patch cabinet for your occupied floor, but would increase your cabling
costs.

Cheers

Dave G