Re: Advice please on running cat5

  • Subject: Re: Advice please on running cat5
  • From: "Karam Karam" <kzkaram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:55:03 -0000

Jon,

As far as I'm aware the advice (and interpretation of regulations I
believe) is that any two cables which can come into contact with each
other must both have insulation rated to the highest of the voltages
on the cables (ie. mains in your case). Obviously (well one would
hope) the mains cable sleeving is suitably rated. If the CAT5
sleeving is not then one option is to add further sleeving in the
region of concern. Another option is to use mains rated sleeving CAT5
in that area. Insofar as signal crosstalk is concerned, ok its
probably not the best idea to put the cables next to each other
(particularly long close parallel runs) but a short section should
not have much effect - certainly not on IDRANet communications for
example, and particularly not if cable is screened.

Karam
IDRATEK LTD

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Jon Wilkins" <jonpdwilkins@...>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm starting a long term project to push cat5 across the house ...
usual
> purposes over time... network, phone, vid/audio, HA (Idratek)
etc,...  It's
> going to be room by room so as not to push the patience of SWMBO.
>
> This will involve running through floor voids in my victorian
terraced
> house.
>
> The voids already contain much plumbing and electric running
through notches
> and holes in the joists.
>
> Where I can do, I will be keeping the cat5 away from mains wiring
and
> definately avoiding direct contact with the hotwater pipes.  But
there are a
> few places where it will be difficult to avoid pushing the cat5
through the
> same joist hole/notch as the mains -- without lots of additional
upheavel.
> These are several metres away from any breaks/joins/connections in
the mains
> wiring.
>
> Is this okay or not (to push through same hole as the mains)?
>  - from a technical point of view?
>  - from a rules/regs point of view?
>
> I've done some reading on the AH forum and found some useful old
threads but
> not one that completely answers this question ( but apologies if
I've missed