Re: Re: Low power PC

> If I understand correctly PIII based machines use significantly less
power
> than P4 machines.
>
> Also, a PIII is a lot cheaper to buy, and replace if necessary.

PIII that's practically cutting edge! :)

My main fileserver is a PII....
Got it for nothing, cleaned the motherboard off, cleaned out the PSU,
replaced the CPU and PSU fans,
whacked in some extra memory I had lying around (now a massive 256MB
monster!), and a pair of big new hard drives.
Installed Ubuntu Dapper, and it's been rock solid...

Total cost - two new drives... and an hour... It's been rock solid...

One less PC in landfill, uses less elecy than P4 and to cap that it auto
powers down if nothings been happening for a while, and can be woken up
remotely with WOL...

Result...