<mailto:simonmcc@xxxxxxx?Subject=3D%20Re%3A%20Low%20power%20PC>
simonmcc@xxxxxxx    <http://profiles.yahoo.com/simonmccaughey>
simonmccaughey=20

Tue Jan 9, 2007 12:57 am (PST)=20

Do you really need a "latest" generation processor? I use a PIII
700MHz
machine running XP for my file server machine, and it also runs my
geovisio=
card (GV250) *and* my central heating control server, including the apache
server for the SMS interface.

I have a minimum of programs installed on this machine, and remote desktop
to it to control it. I have never had any performance problems, and on many
occasions it feels faster than my main P4 machine.

If I understand correctly PIII based machines use significantly less power
than P4 machines.

Also, a PIII is a lot cheaper to buy, and replace if necessary.

=20

Simon

Minimum programs installed and remote desktop sounds good, impressed it
run=
geovision =96 I thought image capture was v CPU & disk hungry.

No I do not *need* the latest set of processors  but I want it reliable so
was planning to buy new, not a lot of older processors available.  Even the
sub =A3300 machines come with a Celeron D,  which is 2 core but more power
hungry than Core Duo.

I=92d been thinking of using my current main machine (1.2GHz Athlon), but
h=
ave
just hooked it up to a power meter and it consumes 125W when idling.  I may
be able to get that down by removing FDD, DVD burner, a disk (possible two
if I forgo mirroring), not sure how much that will save.  Whne I have a bit
more confidence in my back-up I may remove and measure!

=20

Can 2nd hand PIIIs be relied on? Ironic that building a low power PC e.g.
Mini ITX could cost more than a bargain basement PC =96 will have to work
o=
ut
how long it would take to consume the money saved in electricity!

=20

=20

Thanks for the reply

Jon