Re: Re: Low power PC

On 09/01/07, Jon Shaw <semi.jon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can 2nd hand PIIIs be relied on?

Absolutely! Like I said, I use one for the main "server" in the
house.
I also have another that runs (almost) 24/7 in the kitchen, for a
general surfing/music machine. I had an issue with the geovision one,
but another =A330 PIII purchace replaced all the faulty bits.

Where I used to work we used PIII ~500MHz machines for development of
web stuff using apache/mod_perl etc on linux, and they were
ultra-reliable. Several had uptimes of over a year.

> Ironic that building a low power PC e.g.
> Mini ITX could cost more than a bargain basement PC =96 will have to
work=
out
> how long it would take to consume the money saved in electricity!

I have looked at those types of machines too, but they can cost a
fortune to build. Although I think on idling they do consume almost no
power.

Regards

Simon

---