Re: Low power PC

Many thanks for the replies suggesting bargain basement options Cortex
will
run on 98SE onwards and 300Mhz but the features like telephony and audio
prompt need a bit more grunt.  Maybe 750MHz PIII would do it.

Also good point re electronic waste - I haven't accumulated a horde of PCs
so with growing family I still don't think I'll be in surplus for long if I
buy another box.

I did a quick set of calculations and it would take over 10 years to
payback
the additional cost of a new PC vs re-using existing.

Interesting idea re duty cycle.  Our house tends to be high occupancy so if
I ever get around to video capture/CCTV the low power HA PC could fire up a
Geovision/Cortex with CCTV box when the house is unoccupied.

I haven't bought the rack yet so its interesting to get to this stage and
discover the limitations of some racks.

I had a look in Maplin when I bought the power meter and their rack looked
rubbish for a hefty bit of kit like a PC there where only fixings on the
front and it didn't look like rails could be fitted.  I had thought a modem
shelf would be fixed front & back, but no.  Seems low-tech shelving may
be
the best option at least for the Pc and leave the rack for the comms.

Thanks

Jon