Re: Distributing audio - What amplifiers??!!

  • Subject: Re: Distributing audio - What amplifiers??!!
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:20:11 -0000

I have pretty much an identical control side but on the amp front=20
use a Russound 12 Channel (i.e. 6 stereo) poweramp like this:

http://www.russound.com/r1250mc.htm
(this is the latest model=20
though).

Only prob is that new, I think it comes in somewhere around =A31500 at=20
least.  I got mine on ebay for a bit of a bargain.  But I have to=20
say it is nicely tweekable for whole house applications better than=20
standard hifi poweramps. Works a treat.=20=20

One hint, I find for HA audio, you dont need tons of amp power.=20=20
Mine is 50W channel rated and is really way OTT. The 20W-30W you see=20
on some quality solutions (e.g. QED) is likely more than enough for=20
any real world abode.  So the Sonic Impact 30W could easily be=20
enough.  At those prices it might be worth giving it a test anyway.=20

Note. As hinted below... If you go the soundcard route, you don't=20
need external pre-amplification stages as the soundcard does this=20
and volume is controlled off the soundcard.  Consequently, there is=20
no remote control solution of the poweramp stage needed at all. And=20
any poweramp solution could be used.=20=20=20=20

=20

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Marcus Warrington"
<marcusw@m...>=20
wrote:
> Noel,
>=20
> I'm currently doing exactly the same.. not got it fully=20
implemented yet
> but I'm going to be using a PC running XLobby with 4 SoundBlaster=20
cards
> using the KXProject drivers to get 3 channels out of each (so=20
that's 12
> zones). Pocket PC running XLobby client) for remote control etc.=20
The
> overall volume will be controlled via the Soundcard, and I will be=20
using
> some of the cheap (but highly rated) Sonic Impact Amps to boost=20
the volume
> to each zone. These seem to be available for around =A330 each.=20
(Check eBay)
>=20
>=20
> At the moment I just have the PC running XLobby and 1 sound card=20
feeding
> one zone to the PC speakers, and another zone to a
"Veronica" FM=20