Re: Zoned Heating Control

  • Subject: Re: Zoned Heating Control
  • From: "Mark Marsh" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:29:48 -0000

I'm going the same DIY route using an opn-one (www.opnode.org) as
the=20
controller and 1-wire sensors and controllers. Hoping to get the lot=20
in at under =A3500 (only 6 zones). The intention is to add the=20
functionality to the opn-one sensor system which is web based so=20
control could be by PC or anything that can run a browser. opn-one=20
supports basic 1-wire LCD displays so remote control from a panel is=20
a possibility if you don't want to use something like a Nokia N800=20
(WiFi). xAP and xPL are supported by opn-one so that's another=20
possible control method.

Current plan is to write the software so that it will be usable off=20
the shelf as a heating controller (rather than something ony a techie=20
could use) but it's a longish term project (I suspect I won't be too=20
bothered over the summer but when it gets cold...).

The C/H hardware will be designed to be as independent of the=20
controller as possible (inc alternative basic controller). Cat5 to=20
(and from - 1-wire needs a bus topology) each sensor and zones=20
controlled by relays so I can put another controller in if the opn-
one doesn't work out.

I'm interested in hearing about ways of controlling the zones - I've=20
heard that the wired TRVs aren't all that reliable but I've no hard=20
evidence. Standarcd C/H two port valves are about =A350 which is a bit=20
expensive but I'd expect them to be reliable and if you are building=20
the C/H you could easily hide / centralise them.

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Lehane Kellett <lehane@...> wrote:

> Laurence
> If you still have the opportunity then consider bringing the=20
radiators=20
> pipes back to central point(s) with manifolds (like those on UFH).=20
You=20
> can then fit electrically operated valves(24V or 240V) there rather=20
than=20
> on the radiators themselves. I used Danfoss manifolds as you can=20
> mix/match on ports.
>=20
>  From the control point of view - I think you either pay the money=20
(and=20
> get maybe 70%) or adopt the DIY approach. In my case I went down=20
the DIY=20
> route, albeit a few less zones. See http://www.honeycottage.eu/
HAhome.htm
>=20
> So far I have:
> Central control (xAP Floorplan)
> Boiler control (industrial PLC)
> Zones (sensors are Dallas, will be adding humidity soon for=20
bathrooms)
> Occupancy (using the alarm PIR's)
> Weather compensation (external Dallas and local airfield weather=20
report)
> Forward weather compensation on the UFH (looks at BBC weather=20
forecast)
>=20
> Open window detection and optimum start are to follow, though I=20
doubt=20
> the efficacy of the latter on a fully zoned system since if one=20
zone is=20
> calling for heat then the costs of heating the boiler and pipework=20
are=20
> significant and adding another zone probably is pennies in a well=20
> insulated place. Simply changing the overall CH start time based on=20
time=20
> of year and the alarm clock setting seems to work OK.
>=20
> Lehane
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Laurence Mason wrote:
> >
> > We are building a large well insulated farm house and I would=20
like to
> > have a practical system for zoning the heating. My dream
system=20
would be:

> > Separate zone for each room - we could consider ~20 zones
> > Individual override in each (or some) rooms
> > Central programming panel plus ability to do this via browser=20
interface
> > Full seven day programming per zone
> > External temperature compensation
> > Wired system - not wireless - Radio amateur and do not want=20
interference
> > either way
> > Unobtrusive valves as we will be fitting column radiators and=20
want to
> > achieve a look in keeping with them
> > One or two areas of underfloor heating
> > Learns thermal response of room ( we will have log burners in=20
three
> > rooms so not sure how this would affect the learning - and an
aga=20
in the
> > kitchen)
> >
> > Now, we went to the self build / automation show the other
week,=20
which
> > was very interesting - it is some years since we last went. Still
> > waiting for some of the suppliers to sent us information - I=20
guess they
> > must have a lot to catch up on.
> >
> > Talking to the automation people it appears there are a range of
> > solutions, some of which are very expensive - =A320K buys me a
lot=20
of
> > heating oil!
> >
> > It would appear that the TRV body with the wired remote
control=20
head is
> > an economic way to control the flow of water in each of the
zones=20
- we
> > could even hide them in a cupboard or bathroom so they are not=20
seen in
> > the main living rooms. It appears the major cost is in the=20
controller or
> > are we missing something? In general we are not looking at=20
automating
> > the lights or sound so don't want to pay for a system to only
use=20
10% of
> > it's power to control the heating - perhaps that is why some
of=20
them
> > appear so expensive? We will want a monitored alarm system so=20
perhaps
> > that would help to offset the cost? We would cover the wiring
and=20
> > plumbing.
> >
> > So any suggestions on a sensible way forward or do I just fit=20
normal
> > TRVs in every room and spend a little more on oil each year?
The=20
house