OT : Caller ID, Media Centre and still not working

  • Subject: OT : Caller ID, Media Centre and still not working
  • From: "Geraint Williams" <aclcsc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:57:27 -0000

Grrrr,

Still not got the caller ID working on my mediacenter PC.

I have had the USR Message Modem on a friends PC and it works with
caller id, as I was led to believe.

So it seems the problem lies at my house.

I know caller ID services are working as my dect cordless phones all
pick up on it, but when media center sees a call (on a confirmed
working extension etc) it comes up with incoming call etc, but does
not show caller id number or do look-up on mceContacts etc.

After more reading another possibility has been pointed out, but I
don't know too much about this area.

Apparently, if my line has been "dax'd" (sp) then certain ones
prevent caller id working properly ?

I have two phone lines, one which is main house line (media centre
is on this one), and another line which is fax machine and adsl.
Both have caller id services aubscribed to.

I've read that a DAX version 1 can cause issues, whereas DAX2 line
split is supposedly ok, but you ave to proove to BT that this is the
case.

Anyone know anything about this, how DAX works, how I can tell if I
have been "dax'd" and if so, which version of DAX I have ?

This issue is really spoiling one of the neat tricks I wanted MCE to
perform so any help would be appreciated.
Any links, articles would be of help, or past experiences,
especially if i have to speak to BT and get all techy on them i'd
like to semi-understand what they are telling me.

Cheers
Geraint.