Re: OLED anyone?

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:37:18 +0000, it was written:

==============================
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:31:11 +0000, Jim Noble
<yahoo-groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dan Khan wrote:
>
> > I think that on WS TVs, the measurement is taken along the width,
not
> > the diagnol.  4:3 TVs still use the diagnol measurement though.
>

> It's always the diagonal - makes the numbers look bigger. They also
> measure the tube size, which will be bigger than the area of the
screen
> occupied by the picture...

And watch out for those that give the tube size in inches, then the
visible area in CM.

(How come TV's/Monitors etc aren't subject to the same rules as
grocers, who get prosecuted if they use Imperial units?)
==============================

Manufacturers (as far as I am aware) do something rather clever. They quote
the visible areas in cm, and don't actually quote an inch size at all. That
seems to be done by supplier/retailers. The manufacturers just use the inch
size in the model number... (at least the Japanese do. I think european
manufacturers are a little more random. Philips use model numbers with both
cm and inch, although not AFAIK in the same model number.)
As to why suppliers don't get their wrists slapped - dunno guv.

Steve.
Overlord of the Stuffed Attic.
If it moves, I'll keep it..
If it stands still, I'll keep it..
If I want it, it's up there somewhere...

Any opinions voiced that are possibly contentious
were not written by me.  Honest.  No, really!
Well, they might have been.  Or not.  Burble-Burble
steve@xxxxxxx

This email and all attachments have been electronically scanned by Kingston
Communications' email Anti-Virus service and no known viruses were
detected.