Re: [OT] Help needed choosing new PC Spec.

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Help needed choosing new PC Spec.
  • From: "Andy Whitfield" <andywhitfield2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:54:39 -0000

Yep, I'll upgrade to the x800 graphics card.
A mistake I made on my last PC was having graphics and sound
integrated on the motherboard.
The ATI Radeon x800SE card isn't integrated on-board but I see the
sound is.
Would I be better of buying the Creative Labs Sound Card?

As for the anti-virus, I think it might be better to wait for 2005
edition.  I presume it will come out in January?
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Scott Ewing <geekstah@g...> wrote:
> yeah, the speed of the card, the x800 will see you better into the
> future, and yeah you'll only need 256meg for hardcore gaming.
although
> there were rumours of a 512meg GeForce 6800 ultra it has yet to rear
> it's head, probably be the kind of thing that gets released just
> before the GF7.
>
> virus updates being free, yes and no.
> with Norton anyway, it'll cost you 45 quid for the program, and you
> get 15 months of updates included. You then get the option of buying
> another subscription, or buying the new version of the product after
> that time.
>
> you can of course "acquire" the software by other methods,
thus
> negating the need for subscriptions.
>
> Scott
>
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:23:09 -0000, Andy Whitfield
> <andywhitfield2002@y...> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks for the info.
> > Am I right the only difference between the cards is processing
speed?
> > And 128Mb memory on the graphics card enough?  I'm guessing 256Mb
> > really only needed for 3D graphics?
> >
> > Ummm, maybe dumb question, but I thought virus updates were free?
> >
> > Andy
> >

> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Scott Ewing <geekstah@g...> wrote:
> > > get the X800 graphics card instead of the X300, i know your
not
into
> > > gaming, but it's simply a better performing card and you
never
know

> > > get xp [ro instead of xp home
> > >
> > > get them to throw the modem away.
> > >
> > > add a virus scanner subscription, there are lots of varying
opinions
> > > on which is the best, i use norton, but have used mcafee and
enjoyed
> > > it a couple of months ago.
> > >
> > > Good spec machine, justa pitty it's not an amd64 :)
> > >
> > > Scott

> > for
Within the
editing.