Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Smart Metering Privacy

Re[4]: Re: PC IR Control

Hello.

U> Generally you can't use an IRDA interface to control TV's as the
frequencies
U> are different.

I realised that IR control and IRDA were different; I just hijacked
the thread because I wanted my IRDA questions answered!

U> Cheap USB phone leads are a bit of a minefield, esp. on Nokia phones
as many
U> share the same connector but need different software, even with the
U> (supposedly) right lead and software it doesn't always work. Get the
U> official Nokia lead (very expensive) and it all woks first time...

Serves me right for getting a cheap lead from ebay! I wonder why they
are all incompatible?

U> With IRDA though I've always had success, but it is a lot slower if
you're
U> downloading pictures from a camera phone, but for everything else
it's OK.
U> I've used both a motherboard connected i/f and usb, both have been
fine.
U> If you do use the mobo version, don't forget to activate the IR in
the bios.

I figured since I had the mobo connection, I may as well use it, and
it keeps another usb port free on the hub for something else!

Thanks for your informative replies.