Re: OT: Any Red hat heads here?

> > Do a netstat -l for me.

Should still be able to by excuting su - (su to root whilst under SSH).

> Yeah, I new that's what I was doing.  I just wondered WTF was going on
with
> this default instance which should be running & how to log on to
it.
> When I do what I'm doing now, I am logged on as the ssh user because I
started
> the process under that account.  I would really prefer to choose who
log on
> as when I start vnc/whatever remote access tool I end up using - just
like
MS
> Remote Desktop in fact :)

I guess you're at work and your machine at home is firewalled such that you
can't get to the VNC port.
It's been over 3 years since I used VNC for X but I believe you could log
in
via the web version of VNC as any user.

Anyway do play with it and also have a play with running an Xserver as
others have indicated... As for me I'm strictly a shell man - it would be
an
idea for you to get comfortable with using a shell and to understand where
things are on the filesystem etc.

Imagine being on a beach and you're SMS'd with problems on your server.....
all you have is a PDA and a mobile you dont really want to be messing
around
with Xservers/VNC under such a situation. SSH in - sort the problem - keep
SWMBO happy....done.

Shaf