Re: OT: Any Red hat heads here?

Welcome... to the real world.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Butler" <lists@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 2:35 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] OT: Any Red hat heads here?

> Guys,
>
> So I've build my 1U Red Hat box, replaced the fans to quieten that
puppy
down
> and it seems to run okay.  Now I want to make it headless, so I've
been
looking
> into remote access.
> Ideally would like a terminal services-a-like service, but the nearest
have
> come is vnc.  I'm not quite sure how it is set up on a *nix box though
-
there
> seems to be a vncserver service running (or at least installed) when
the
box
> starts, but if I try to connect to server:1, I can't.

Do a netstat -l for me.
check if the Vnc service is installed in /etc/rc/d/init.d
If it is /etc/rc/d/init.d/vncserver start (or whatever the vnc init file
is).
netstat -l again see if it's listening on port 5900 (I think).

> If however, I ssh in to the box and do a "vncserver :2" then
I can connect
> server:2 okay.

Nope you created a new vncserver instance.
Shesh scrap the above it works.
SSH to the box and do
telnet localhost 5900
telnet localhost 5901
telnet localhost 5902
.
.
Any results ? Also I assume your redhat box is networked can you vnc to it
>from

Let's see what we have before going further.