Re: X10 events based on temperature?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: X10 events based on temperature?
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:16:07 +0100

I've recently started thinking of the same.

The way to go appears to be using a 1-wire network available from Dallas
Semiconductors (http://www.maxim-ic.com/).  The
temperature sensors
themselves are very cheap (eg, a couple of pounds each), so all you need
is some way of reading them.

Dallas do a couple of serial port 1-wire readers.  They appear to work
pretty well, and pump raw data into the PC from the sensors.

The other way (and the way I've gone), is to purchase a TEMP05 from
Midon Design (http://www.midondesign.com/).  The
TEMP05 sits between the
1-wire network, and the PC, and is configurable to send a single to the
PC every 1 - 99 minutes.  This can then be picked up by Homeseer, and in
turn used to trigger events.  This does assume that you're using some
kind of intelligent X10 controller (Homeseer, Activ8, Homevision etc).

I'm very new to all this 1-wire stuff, although I've been using X10 for
several years, but it will do exactly what you describe.  To see a (very
basic) live graph of two of the 1-wire temperature sensors I currently
have wired up, take a look at http://www.the-firs.net/test.asp
(Click on
"login as guest" when prompted).

Like I say, I've literally only rigged these up in the last couple of
days, so the graph is just a quick test for me. Just got another 18
temperature sensors to wire up now! :-)

HTH,
A.