From: Kevin Hawkins [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 December 2003 14:57
To: ukha_d
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Power over Ethernet

Martin - it looks a bit complicated on that site but really it's very easy.

The principle here is that you supply a slightly higher voltage at the
start
of the cable than you need at the end - and then at the end you add a
voltage regulator so that what comes out is 'spot on' - you need more volts
at the start as some will be dropped along the cable length. This is why
you
can't just supply 12V at the start of your cable run - it may end up as
11.5
V at the access point end. Note that the spare Cat5 cables are paired
together (2 for + and 2 for -) to minimise this voltage drop.

Kevin