RE: Pinnacle ShowCenter {Scanned for Viruses}

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Pinnacle ShowCenter {Scanned for Viruses}
  • From: "Kilgore, Andrew" <amkilgore@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:28:16 -0000

> I'm not sure that the windows software is required for running it as
such,
but
> maybe is necessary/recommneded for setting it up.

I asked a question a while ago about why the min spec for the software was
DX7 compatible graphics and sound card. Got no response :-(

I _think_ I've figured out the graphics card requirement, but still baffled
by why it needs a DX7 compatible sound card. My best guess is that the
ShowCenter software simply sends an MPEG stream to the player. This would
mean that the interactive menus etc. would be built on the server (using
DirectX) and streamed to the player as an MPEG stream. I really can't
believe that this could be the case but have been unable to find any info
on
the Pinnacle website to suggest otherwise. But if I'm wrong, I would still
like to know the reason behind the DX7 minimum spec.

I also think that any format conversion carried out by the ShowCenter is
done in software and then streamed to the player.

Assuming this was the case and the fact that my "server" machine
is pretty
low-spec (in order to keep heat, noise and leccy bill down!), I decided
that
the ShowCenter wasn't for me.
Of course, I'd love to hear how it actually works once someone gets it
setup.

In the meantime, I opted for a modded XBox :o)
(Have to rip the fans out yet tho...!)

Thanks,
Andy.