Re: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

Hi Dan,

One of the things that you highlight is the single pair of wires used, from
this I've made the deduction that you are saying that the devices are daisy
chained off one another using a single cable. A number of potential
problems occur to me here:

1. If one device fails does the whole chain stop working?
2. The single point of failure for one 'room' is the CAT5 socket

>> 5. Devices don't require a PC (or other interfacing device) to
run.

>As you have even a single PC in the home, then you dop not need another
>one.

Ahh, but the point is, your serial devices stop working if they have
nothing to talk to (eg PC Failure)
Ethernet devices still function, it is not inconceivable(sp) that you could
create a network of devices
that operate without the use of a PC using protocols like xAP and xPL or
even a custom protocol.

>There is any stand-alone home automation framework, network based,
which
>does not use a PC?

Not as far as I know, but for example somone *could* interface Homevision's
serial port with a Rabbit
and have devices talk directly to homevision, eliminating the PC entirely.

>> 6. I can't think of any more atm..
>Please try to convince me...:-))

Do I really need to? It sounds like you want to try anyway :D - The only
downside added is there is an
additional cost. There is no reason that you could not create your serial
devices, and then simply interface
the serial connection with a device like the Rabbit - instantly converting
your device (with a little programming)
to a networked one...

Go on, you know you want to... :D

Andy