Re: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

Hi Andy,

Let me comment your answer too. To be short,  SWSB mean Single-wire serial
bus.

> 1. Plug in and go when using DHCP, perhaps even automated updates when
using TFTP.
You need IP address allocation only for ethernet, for serial a simple swith
is enough.. maybe something which can  be written in the device PIC memory
( no need for switches)... Online updating through TFTP can be an
advantage,
but on SWSB you can do it too, using some special sequences... if you
really
need it.

> 2. Any network socket can become a point on interation with your Home
Automation setup.

If  SWSB used, you can have unlimited number of serial devices on the same
RJ45 socket (using 2 spare wires), together with a PC. Is not nice?

> 3. If you only have one CAT5 socket you can just hang a hub off it and
continue adding devices

Whit SWSB you can add as many devices as you want without the need for a
Hub, Switch or something else...

> 4. because we can, and it is pretty kewl!
I have no comment for this statement.... Is 100% correct!...:-)))

> 5. Devices don't require a PC (or other interfacing device) to run.

As you have even a single PC in the home, then you dop not need another
one.
There is any stand-alone home automation framework, network based, which
does not use a PC?

> 6. I can't think of any more atm..
Please try to convince me...:-))

Best regards,
Dan

P.S. I do not intend to make the apology of SWSB, but to better understand
the reasons behind network based home devices..