Re: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

Hi Dan,

Well I guess there are a number of reasons you might want to do this - I'll
list the one I can think of atm, others will no doubt chip in:

1. Plug in and go when using DHCP, perhaps even automated updates when
using TFTP.

2. Any network socket can become a point on interation with your Home
Automation setup.

3. If you only have one CAT5 socket you can just hang a hub off it and
continue adding devices

4. because we can, and it is pretty kewl!

5. Devices don't require a PC (or other interfacing device) to run.

6. I can't think of any more atm..

Andy

On 14/04/2003 at 13:37 Dan wrote:

>Hi Andy,
>
>What I want to understand is the reason to use ethernet based home
>automation devices and not something serial using a single wire which
is a
>lot cheaper and easy to be build (even using a spare pair from a CAT5
>cable.).
>
>Ant comments are wellcome.
>
>Best regards,
>Dan