Re: Anyone got a Sharp Zaurus PDA ??

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Anyone got a Sharp Zaurus PDA ??
  • From: "JamesTraynor" <James@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:32:27 -0000

Dean,

I do.  The 5500d with a Netgear 701 CF wifi card.

For the price it will blow any other pda out of the arena.  There is a
new model on the horizon hence the price cuts. The keyboard is really
handy as i hate those on screen ones(which it has as well)
I just tried it with the slimp3 interface and yes it works.  The page
layout could do with being tweaked for a small screen as, as it is
it's
a bit messy. If you put it in landscape mode it is better
Although the out the box zaurus is good, it has one main flaw.  That
is
the wifi cards are locked at 11mbs so range can be a problem.  However
there is a distro called openzaurus.org which supports wifi better and
is much better and newer in every respect. It works every where in my
house and right down the end of the garden. You could even load a voip
software on it and use it as a phone

www.zauruszone.com is a good start
www.thekompany.com/embedded for commercial software
http://killefiz.de/zaurus/ for
free stuff

Any other questions, just ask

James

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Barrett" <dean@r...> wrote:
> Looking for a low cost WiFi Web access machine for my Slimp.
>=20
> The Sharp PDA comes in around =A3200 + the WiFi card, so works out
at
a good