Re: Firewall SBC

> > Yes, but as others have said, it'll be expensive.
>
> Not that expensive Andy. You can get a NS Geode based SBC (up to 300Mh= z) for
> around the 250 quid mark and it is low power, no fan required. If you = check
> with the suppliers, sometimes they have old stock to shift at reduced<= BR> > prices. I picked up a couple of 233Mhz Geode based SBC's for 50 quid e= ach.
> Both have LAN, sound, LCD etc onboard.

Yes, but you could buy a similar spec base unit for =A350 time after time.<= BR> If you shop around, you could get one for under =A330.

> The diskonchip support is generally up to 144Mb and with diskonchip yo= u can
> boot from it. The compact flash tends to be implemented as IO rather t= han a
> disk drive that you can boot from. To boot from it, you would need one= of
> those IDE convertors and you are adding to the cost. Saying that, 128M= b of
> compact flash is certainly less than DOC prices.

IDE>CF adapter =A325
CF card =A350odd (not checked prices recently)

That's pretty cheap, IMO.  So, all in, you're looking at =A3150 at the=
most for a P233 based firewall.  If you're willing to use a 486, then<= BR> you could reduce that by half!

Andy

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk