Re: Displays round the house - architecture...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Displays round the house - architecture...
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:46:29 -0000

Some random thoughts:
An alternative approach is to let each *display* take the decision
about what to display locally - transmit message text(s) and triggers
to all devices. (Note that it is the trigger event, not the trigger
criteria that is transmitted to a display). I can see a number of
advantages in this approach:

-  There is no cental controller to fail; it is a distributed
architecture
-  Triggers can be generated from *any* network connected device,
possibly including other display units (perhaps with keypads?)
-  Complex conditional logic can be applied (not necessarily excluded
with your original design, depends on what the output server does)
-  Local control and centralised control can be achieved
simultaneously using the same infrastructure with a minimum of
additional work.

Configuration information for each display is read from server(s) at
boot time. This server could also cache recent events so that a
display shows current information immediately on re-boot.

I think this architecture extends beyond just displays to provide
(one possible) foundation for an HA network protocol. I could ramble
on, but I'd wager that a detailed discussion is probably outside the
interests of the majority of the list.

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor