Re: Re: Displays round the house - architecture...

I don't want this to be a <AOL> Me too! </AOL> post but it is really.

From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
> Some random thoughts:
> An alternative approach is to let each *display* take the decision
> about what to display locally - transmit message text(s) and triggers
> to all devices. (Note that it is the trigger event, not the trigger
> criteria that is transmitted to a display). I can see a number of
> advantages in this approach:

This is exactly the kind or architecture i want. I want smart IP aware
Ethernet connected devices on a peer-to-peer network.

> -  There is no central controller to fail; it is a distributed
> architecture
> -  Triggers can be generated from *any* network connected device,
> possibly including other display units (perhaps with keypads?)
> -  Complex conditional logic can be applied (not necessarily excluded
> with your original design, depends on what the output server does)
> -  Local control and centralised control can be achieved
> simultaneously using the same infrastructure with a minimum of
> additional work.
>
> Configuration information for each display is read from server(s) at
> boot time. This server could also cache recent events so that a
> display shows current information immediately on re-boot.
>
> I think this architecture extends beyond just displays to provide
> (one possible) foundation for an HA network protocol. I could ramble
> on, but I'd wager that a detailed discussion is probably outside the
> interests of the majority of the list.

I want an IP level broadcast UDP based protocol. Each node chatters on the
network with the other members picking up and working on the data that the
hears to act on. The only PC needed would be one running snort with a custom
ruleset for our protocol, logging into a database ready for a website for
the PC/PDA class devices. Snort runs on windows well and will log to
mysql/postresql/oracle/MSSQLserver.

I know we were only trying to get ideas of functions at the minute but this
way offers so many features this way.

Bro

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor