Re: Re: XM11U can't drive relay. Fixable?

Thanks for your advice Ian.

I have got around the problem by using a regular 12v power supply plugged i= nto
a TM12 but was hoping a simple mod could make the XM11U usable, as it was <= BR> bought specifically for this project (and it would look neater too). As it is, it's =A320 worth of gear doing nothing except gathering dust.

I guess if I need another power supply to make it work though, I might as w= ell
stick with the current solution.

Justin.

Quoting ianwbird <Ian@xxxxxxx>:

> In reality I expect that the unit does not have enough power to
> energise it but could hold it open. Not much help really though.
>
> What you will need is a small transistor to act as a switch and a
> resistor to go between the base of the tranny and the XM11U. You will =
> also need some extra power to clunk the relay. It may be possible to <= BR> > do with a large capacitor depending on the relay ratings and some
> other factors.
>
> Is it feasible to have another power supply there or are you trying > to use just the XM11U? What is the coil rating on the relay?
>
> Let me know
>
> Ian
>

> --- In ukha_d@y..., justin@g... wrote:
> > Some time ago I purchased a XM11U (X10 controlled 12v power suppl= y)
> to drive a
> > relay (ht= tp://www.quasarelectronics.com/relays.htm part 3084). It
> seems that at
> > 100mA the XM11U doesn't have enough power(?) to drive it. A regul= ar
> PSU rated
> > at 500mA works ok.
> >
> > Baring in mind I'm not too clued up on electronics, is there
> anything that
> > could be done remidy this? Perhaps add something between the two =
> devices or
> > change a component on the relay board?
> >
> > Justin.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or