RE: was pissed off - Now Guided development?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: was pissed off - Now Guided development?
  • From: "Jason Lee" <jasonjlee@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:14:19 +0100

Title: RE: [ukha_d] was pissed off - Now Guided development?

 Tony,

This funded development idea is something Ive been saying to people too. Ive seen a guy try it from the avsforums in a strange way, but I think he started too big.

He sold shares in the company, but he needed quite a few quid for his project, and there just wasnt the demand.

Oops, I just gave a negative example of something Im trying to support!

It’s a great idea in my opinion It takes more organizing but I think the benefits could be huge.

For example, the guy who wrote huffyuv. He started asking for donations. I donated, and wrote a nice long email to him suggesting that he get people who have donated to guide further development.

Say list two features..

1.Add x

2.Add y

People vote when they donate for which they would like.. Target figures could be attached to each before they are triggered that reflect the amount of work involved.. Things can be planned in stages..

Something like this worked recently with support for UK streams in tytool.. It was on the back burner, then people said they would pay for it. It was put in the next release.

He binned the idea, and hasnt updated his work in years.. L Big shame.

This is the way Linux dev should be channeled as I often feel that average users are the last thing they listen too, as devs like to work on the things that interest themselves. (Not trying to start a flame war!!)

This way projects that 1 guy is capable of pulling of, get more developers, more user feedback and become what people want, as they are paying for it..

Anyway, just seems reasonable to me I just think of the wasted talents that are sitting idle that if pooled together could make a big difference. Would take a lot of organizing though, but I think it would be worth it.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor