Re: OT: Mobile Phone Masts

TDMA is used on the nokia 5120, 6120 etc.. CDMA is newer and is popular
in the states - its a spread spectrum type thing where the carrier is
contiuious and at a lower power (microwatts) if needed - no more
interference! yay! CDMA is immmune to a lot of the problems that GSM and
TDMA have with dropped calls. The weird thing is it uses the same
spectrum as AMPS celular, at the same time its being used by analog..
weird...

TDMA is switched packets like GSM but the channel spacing fits into the
old AMPS system which is why it was so popular in the states.

the GSM we have here in NZ (900 MHz only) is ok in the CBD, but there
are loads of limitations that effect it working around the place. I have
used my old TDMA phone 150k across water from the nearest site and it
worked fine. My alcatel GSM was showing full signal, and the name of the
place I drove from, but of cource it wouldnt work being more then 35k's
away. Marine and air coverage is really bad with GSM and TDMA, All the
light aircraft piolts I know still have the old analog dinosaur for a
reason.

CDMA will hand off to any site at any time, and its supervised in that
the first site holds ont  the signal untill the second site gets it. I
have a huge problem here in that there are at least 5 sites available
form my house, but none of them are "Neighbouring" to each other
so I
get a lot of dropped calls. Plus there is no arbitary distance limit
built into CDMA its something im looking foward to. I will still keep
the old GSM for SMSing from ICQ tho..

Stuart Grimshaw wrote:

> On Thursday 19 July 2001 08:35 am, you wrote:
> > $20, but im sure it was less. At the time I had a TDMA phone (800
MHz) -